Frequently Asked Questions

General Landfill Questions
Residential Recycling
Business Recycling
Yard Waste
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collections
Landfill Tours & Other SWACO Educational Programs
Construction and Demolition Waste
Trash and Bulk Pick-up
Computer, TV and Electronic Recycling
Illegal Dumping and Littering

General Landfill Questions

Can Residents bring waste to the Franklin County Sanitary Landfill (FCSL)?

Yes, residents may bring waste to the FCSL.  All loads must be tarped.  As of April 1, 2017 the tipping fee was reduced to $39.75 per ton.  Residents pay a $5.00 minimum and the tipping fee is prorated for loads weighing less than 1 ton.

What are your hours of operation?

5:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 6:00 a.m. until noon on Saturdays, closed on Sundays and all major holidays.

Where are you located?

The Franklin County Sanitary Landfill is located at 3851 London-Groveport Road in Grove City, Ohio. From Downtown Columbus, follow I-71 south to Exit 97 for OH-665/London Groveport Rd. Turn right onto OH-665/London Groveport Road (west) and the landfill will be on the left (south) side of the road. Heading northbound on I-71 take Exit 97 for OH-665/London Groveport Rd. Turn left (west) onto OH 665/London Groveport Road and the landfill will be on the left (south). 

How much does it cost to dispose of material in the landfill?  

As of 4/1/2017, the tipping fee is $39.75 per ton.  Residents pay a $5.00 minimum and the tipping fee is prorated for loads weighing less than 1 ton.

View Landfill Rates PDF

Do you accept credit/debit cards?

SWACO accepts VISA, Discover, and/or MasterCard credit and debit cards. We also accept cash and checks provided with government issued photo identification.  SWACO does NOT accept American Express credit cards.  Commercial Customers may contact SWACO's Finance Department at 614-871-5100 to inquire about obtaining a SWACO Charge Account.

We do accept:

We accept general solid waste, including furniture, carpeting, and general household trash. However we urge you to reuse and donate or recycle as much as possible before bringing items to the landfill. See what is recyclable at Residential Recycling.

We do not accept:

We do not accept yard waste, liquids, or anything hazardous.  Click here found under Unacceptable Items for a complete listing of materials NOT accepted for disposal at the FCSL.

Additionally, we do not accept dedicated loads of Construction and Demolition materials (C&D). C&D materials must be taken to a Construction & Demolition Landfill. For a list of those landfills click here: Construction and Demolition Waste.

Can I dispose of tires and appliances at the FCSL?

SWACO does not accept dedicated loads of tires. Tires that are incidentally included with other solid wastes are accepted for a charge of $5.00 per tire or $50.00 for large truck tires.

Appliances are accepted for a charge of $20.00 for each appliance. However the Freon must be removed from the appliance by a licensed Freon recycler. The appliance must be tagged by the recycler as “Freon free.” A listing of locations that recycle appliances is available here: Dispose of Appliances

I am a commercial hauler. What do I need to do in order to dispose of waste at the FCSL?

All commercial haulers and businesses must display a hauling permit issued by the Franklin County Public Health. Contact them at 614-525-3554.

Contact SWACO's Finance Department at 614-871-5100 to register your vehicle(s) and obtain disposal payment information.  Click for more information

I do not live in your area - are there other places closer to me?

If you do not live in Franklin County, please consider calling your County for disposal options. SWACO serves 41 communities in the Solid Waste District. If you live outside of the District and want to dispose of waste at the FCSL, additional rates may apply. If Commercial haulers can only use one of the three SWACO transfer stations. Due to safety concerns, residents cannot use SWACO transfer stations. For more information contact 614-871-5100.

Residential Recycling

SWACO provides multiple drop off recycling locations throughout Franklin County. The updated list is available at Recycling Drop-Off Locations.

Curbside residential recycling in Columbus is available through RecyColumbus. Many suburban areas provide curbside recycling as part of their trash collection. Contact your respective city hall or township office for more information.

Business Recycling

More than half of what is sent to the Franklin County Sanitary landfill comes from businesses and commercial accounts. Sixty-percent of that material could have been recycled. SWACO offers advice and programs to help your business “go green” at: We're Here to Help


Yard Waste is not accepted at the Franklin County Sanitary Landfill. You should check with your local city hall or township office for details on curbside yard waste collections. Residents of Franklin County can dispose of their yard waste (free of charge) at multiple locations throughout Franklin County.  For more information: Yard Waste Disposal.

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collections

Residents can bring their old lawn chemicals, pain thinners, acids, insecticides and other household hazardous waste to the permanent Household Hazardous Waste collection site at 645 E. 8th Avenue, just south of the Ohio State Fairgrounds. We also offer mobile collections throughout the year. For more information, please visit our Household Hazardous Waste page.

Landfill Tours and Other SWACO Educational Programs

SWACO provides tours of our Franklin County Sanitary Landfill for schools and other groups.  For more information: Visit the SWACO Landfill Tour page.


The Franklin County Sanitary Landfill does not accept dedicated loads of construction and demolition materials. Those materials must be taken to a Construction & Demolition Landfill. For a list of those landfills, visit: Construction and Demolition Waste.



SWACO is not responsible for residential trash collection. If your trash has not been collected, or you need bulk collection service, you should call your city hall or township offices. In the City of Columbus, you will need to call 614-645-3111. Other communities are listed in the government (blue) pages of the phone book.


Residents may bring household batteries (AAA, AA, A, C, D), nickel, or cadmium, they should be brought to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection center or to one of our community HHW mobile collections. More information, please visit our Battery Disposal section. Car batteries should be recycled at the site of purchase or at many auto parts retailers.


There are a number of locations to recycle E-Waste in central Ohio. SWACO has a list of consumer electronics recyclers at Electronic Disposal Information.

Illegal Dumping and Littering

SWACO funds the Environmental Crimes Task Force of Central Ohio program which allows citizens to report illegal dumping and littering in Franklin County. More information is at